Remember these verse by “The Beatles” And I bet many of the readers will call it senseless.
Because we are people counting the stars, as we watch in TV (lol) but yeah we do watch the netflix series all night ( Some pay prefer social media instead) concerning about tomorrow’s presentation or the cheque you haven’t submitted in the bank.
Even if you don’t want to sleep, you need it.
For many people these problems are temporary but sometimes it becomes a habit,which eventually becomes a mental illness, insomnia.
Sustainable problems related with falling and staying asleep is known as Insomnia.
Two major types of insomnia
Chronic Insomnia : Chronic insomnia is a long-term complications with sleeping. It is considered chronic if a person has trouble falling asleep or staying asleep at least three nights per week for three months or longer.
Short term Insomnia : This is a brief episode of difficulty sleeping.,which however lasts for a temporary period. Short-term insomnia is often caused by trauma, mental diagnosis, etc
Most cases of insomnia are related to poor sleeping habits, depression, anxiety, lack of exercise, chronic illness or certain medication.
Common causes of Chronic Insomnia
• Concern about work, family problems, finances
• Depression, anxiety and overthinking
• Physical illness
• Emotional stress
• Irregular sleep schedules
• Excess measure of Caffeine, Nicotine and Alcohol
Physical Affects of insomnia
• Lack of sleep, may unable the body to fend off invaders, and it may also take people longer to recover from illness.
• Long-term sleep deprivation increases the risk for chronic conditions, such as diabetes mellitus and heart disease.
• People suffering from lack of sleep are more likely to get cardiovascular disease
• Sleep deprivation also causes your body to release less insulin after you eat which helps to reduce the blood sugar (glucose) level.
• It may cause interruption in the hormones that help the body build muscle mass, repair cells and tissues AKA growth hormone production
How to prevent
• Avoid over exercise / training before bed
• Avoid Citrusy, spicy food / drinks like tea, coffee, nicotine before bed
• Switch off the lights
• Exclude the objects that could trigger your thoughts.
• Avoid the contact of bright, blue light
• Replace hard surfaces from soft beds
• Put your phone in DND ( Do not distrub) mode
• Prevent sharing beds with pet animals
• Say no to medication for a better sleep (they could be addictive and could leave side effects physically and mentally)
• Don’t take naps during the day
Your body needs little breaks time to time from your chaotic and tight schedule, to recharge your energy and update your brain programming, that's why breaks are necessary at least for five to ten mins no matter how busy you are.
Address the worries during the day, and you can do these by putting down your words on a paper but do not do these before bed, as you'll remember every worried thing and it will stuck in your mind which could distract you from a good night sleep.
Listen these before sleeping : https://youtu.be/2fbaoqkY0Qk
Listen to ASMR sleep and relaxation cures, this are one of the best ways to distract your mind from any concerns and pain, and lead you to a peaceful sleep
Here are some of the best sleeping ASMR videos for a better sleep
IG – @only.mental_health_
Medium – @bluesky18