Did you ever feel like Peter Pan living in the neverland, or like the world’s ending and no one comes over or got a six feet under feeling? Probably most will answer yes. Sometimes, people get confused when they’re having mixed up emotions and they couldn’t take a right decision. It is an haunting experience one could ever go through. Often it is temporary, but sometimes it may not.
Here’s how to “Stay Gold” and cure your numbness emotionally and physically.
When you’re feeling numb you’re tend to paralysed physically and mentally as a result of trauma. These often happens to people who are suicidal.
Depression and anxiety are two of the most common causes. Severe levels of critical elevated stress or nervousness can also trigger feelings of emotional numbness.
However, there are four different categories of numbness, which are as follows ;
1. Paresthesia – Paresthesia leads to Tingling or prickling sensation; usually temporary, often occurs in the arms, hands, legs or feet. The sensation, which happens without warning, is usually painless and described as tingling or numbness, skin crawling, or itching simply their body parts get paralysed.
2. Dysesthesia – It’s an abnormal sensation , a burning sensation along a nerve; changes in perceptions of touch or pressure; non painful contact becomes painful. Sometimes the pain feels like you’re being squeezed around your chest or abdomen.
3. Hyperpathia – It’s a painful disorder characterized by an abnormally painful reaction to a stimulus, especially a repetitive stimulus, as well as an increased approach moreover it may occur with allodynia, hyperesthesia, hyperalgesia, or dysesthesia.
4. Anesthesia – It’s an insensitivity to pain, especially as artificially induced by the administration of gases or the injection of drugs before surgical operations.
If we talked about emotional numbness,
Emotional numbness could be a feeling of isolation to some people, to some people it’s like getting trapped in choas. It’s often temporary and could occur anytime. However
According to Mayra Mendez, Ph.D., LMFT, a licensed psychotherapist and program coordinator.
Depression and anxiety or post-
traumatic stress disorder, which can be tied to depression and anxiety, can cause you to feel numb, too.
Symptoms of emotional numbness
• Dropping interest in positive activities once you used to enjoy
• Feeling detached from others
• Feeling tasteless
• Failing to surge to your feelings
• Feeling flat, both physically and emotionally
• Lack of confidence and empowerment
• Experiencing an inability to fully participate in life
• Lack of positive feelings
• Stuck in a Chaotic feeling
• Feeling paralysed emotionally
(Resources : http://www.verywellmind.com)
Stress hormones can wave your process and cause different reactions within the body that can lead to emotional numbness.
The first option is move your body. If you’re arms, legs or any particular part of the body is paralysed try to move it slowly. You can gives go for a small walk or exercise. Putting on some music and get a tuned up may help you to fade the numbness you’re feeling even if it’s emotional. But even if the feeling goes on and on you could ask the doctor for help.
When it comes to emotional numbness you can try to get in touch with people who are closer to you or whom you love. It may get easier for you to confess you’re feeling or what you’re experiencing. It’s important to take it easy in these suitation
Feeling of detachment with yourself may even because you’re not prioritising your mental state or not opening up. It may be the result of past uncured trauma or something triggering which ultimately leads to other pessimistic feelings like hopelessness, anxiety, shock, etc. For ex, a person who has been through any kind of abuse may find it difficult to overcome the traumatic event or sharing their feelings or emotions with anyone which may lead him to hopeless about the future or numbness which may prove suicidial sometimes numbness could may occur in the process of overcoming a kind of mental illness, However, it gets more complicated as long as you hold on which may eventually get harmful. However, it is necessary to get a proper treatment and appoint a therapist.
Prevent popping pills constantly without any prescription / advice from the doctor.
Put off the social media for a while and consantrate on your mental being. It’s no crime to cry at times, crying helps you to express your emotions and boosts your communication. Crying is a weakness is a part of myths. Suppressing your emotions or not expressing is a sign of invulnerability. Assure to let go of emotions in time and don’t bear it with you ahead, as it could negatively impact your future and present too. May opening up not give you a solution for a problem, but it helps to makes you feel better while undergoing something emotionally.
IG – @only.mental_health_
Medium – @bluesky18